A surprisingly large number of people are experiencing chronic, persistent and debilitating pain. Pain that is unrelenting and a terrible burden on their lives. Natural medicine is able to provide vital relief to these people.
A fascinating aspect of pain is that it is not real. The brain creates pain. It’s constructed from the collected inputs of neural activation, memories and expectations. This is a critical understanding of how to approach the patient in chronic pain. The blunt approach to quenching pain as a symptom is predictably ineffective. Medical care is often one dimensional and does not get to the core of the problem. Natural methods are very effective and much, much safer.
The Pain and Inflammation Masterclass will give you a very good understanding of what chronic pain actually is, how it arises and therefore, what you are able to do to reduce pain and repair the processes contributing to it.
Chronic pain impacts many facets of people’s lives. The suffering is ongoing and contributes to many other problems including mental health issues. Those with chronic pain have a higher risk of depression, anxiety, substance abuse and suicide. They also have a reduced life expectancy with higher cardiovascular and respiratory diseases.
The severity of the impact of pain on people’s lives is compounded by the precipitous nature of pain medication. Diagnosis and monitoring of pain are problematic and the pharmacological solutions are often mismanaged and fraught with side effects including addiction.
Your Masterclass presenters are all experts in Pain Care. They have considerable expertise in their chosen specialties and have lots of valuable clinical tips and strategies to share.
Your presenters are:
- Howard Schubiner, MD
- Rob Kachko, ND
- Leigh Arseneau, ND
- Gordon Ko, MD
- Aaron Goldman, PhD
- Paul Epstein, ND
FROM THIS MASTERCLASS YOU WILL LEARN
- How pain arises from multiple stimuli
- What effects chronic pain has on other body systems
- What healthy sleep looks and functions like
- How to use mind-body medicine and mindfulness to alter the pain experience
- How to assess and monitor chronic pain symptoms
- Nutritional and herbal treatments for managing chronic pain
- Which SNPs predispose to increased pain experience and reduced analgesic effectiveness
- How cannabis affects pain and how to use it most effectively
YOU WILL RECEIVE
- Clear protocol explanations
- Clinical pearls for improved practice results
- Access to audio and video recordings
- A PDF of the presenter’s slides
- Links to all referenced research papers and useful clinical handouts
- Your exclusive invitation to our alumni hub to ask questions
WEBINAR ONE: Mind-Body Medicine for Pain
Presenter: Paul Epstein
- The importance of mindfulness to the healing process
- Contemplative medicine
- Interpersonal neurobiology
- Neuroplasticity & epigenetics
- The power of the story
- “Physicians who listen”
- Narrative medicine
- Psycho-social genomics
WEBINAR TWO: Natural Therapies for Addressing Stress, Depression, and Anxiety in Chronic Pain
Presenter: Rob Kachko
- The biopsychosocial pain care model with particular focus on psychosocial influences and treatment models
- Understand the incidence of anxiety and depression in people with sustained chronic pain
- Understand shared mechanisms for the co-occurrence of these disorders
- Approaches to address anxiety and chronic pain within the context of comprehensive biopsychosocial pain care
WEBINAR THREE: Cannabis-Based Pain Medicine
Presenter: Gordon Ko
- Conceptualise the endocannabinoid system and function
- The existing evidence/ references for cannabis for medical purposes
- How to recognise the potential side-effects and contraindications
- How to minimise the risk of abuse, diversion and inappropriate use
WEBINAR FOUR: Targeted Nutrients and Botanicals for Chronic Pain
Presenter: Rob Kachko
- Explore the role of inflammation and oxidative stress in pain chronification
- The latest evidence on the role of nutrition in improving pain outcomes
- The latest evidence on the role of targeted nutrients in improving pain outcomes
- The latest evidence on the role of targeted botanicals in improving pain outcomes
WEBINAR FIVE: Nutrition and Diet for Pain and Inflammation
Presenter: Leigh Arseneau
- The humbling complexity of chronic pain and inflammation
- Health restoration through an interdisciplinary team approach
- Applying the functional medical model – the need for a systems approach
- Pain perception – a personalized experience
- Case study
- The work-up
- The epigenetic impact of food
- Overview of the core processes – how to intelligently apply key natural health products in;
- The inflammatory cascade
- Oxidative stress
- Gastrointestinal health and the microbiome
- The stress axis
WEBINAR SIX: Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms and Pain Processing
Presenter: Aaron Goldman
- Brief introduction on DNA, genetics and SNPs
- How SNPs are used clinically – examples of pharmacogenetics (pain meds)
- Celecoxib (active drug)
- Codeine (pro drug)
- The role of the COMT gene in pain
- COMT pathway and association of SNPs with pain and disability
WEBINAR SEVEN: Explaining and Assessing Chronic Pain
Presenter: Howard Schubiner
- Predictive coding by the brain and how neural circuits can cause physical symptoms
- How emotions and stressful life events can create and activate learned nerve circuits of pain
- How to determine which disorders are typically mind-body disorders
- When to obtain medical evaluations for clients with possible mind-body disorders
- How to structure an assessment to determine the underlying psychological mechanisms of mind-body disorders
- How to explain mind-body disorders to patients in clear, respectful ways
WEBINAR EIGHT: Treatment of Neurocircuit Disorders
Presenter: Howard Schubiner
- Techniques to assist clients in reframing the meaning of their symptoms
- Use Pain Reprocessing Therapy (PRT) to help patterns break the cycle of pain and fear of pain.
- How to elicit the emotional content that triggers mind-body disorders.
- The theory and process of Emotional Awareness and Expression Therapy (EAET)
- How to use PRT and EAET
- Overcoming barriers clients face in accepting the mind-body diagnosis
Dr Leigh Arseneau ND is a Naturopathic Physician who specialises in Functional Medicine. He started his training with a 4 year honours degree in Biochemistry followed by a 4 years Naturopathic Medical degree. He continued his post-doctoral training at the Institute for Functional Medicine, is certified in infusion therapy and has recently been granted prescribing authority by his college.
Dr Arseneau is a contributing author of the 12th edition of the A4M textbook where he co-authored a chapter on integrative management of Fibromyalgia.
He recently presented a poster at the 4th International Neuropathic Pain Conference, focused on using the Functional Medical model to treat various types of complex pain syndromes.
He has co-authored several research papers on the benefits of Bio-Identical Hormone Therapy, essential fatty acids, thyroid treatment and integrative pain management. His most recent publication is in the Natural Medicine Journal.
Dr Arseneau received an Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors Leadership award in 2011 and 2013. He is the Director of the Centre for Advanced Medicine, the Chief Naturopathic Physician for the Canadian Center for Integrative Medicine in Markham and a Medical Advisor for the Centre for Restorative Medicine. Dr Arseneau has conducted over 100 lectures for patients and physicians alike and has appeared as a guest speaker on national and local television broadcasts.
He has been quoted in the National Post, referenced by Dr Hauser in sacroiliac joint dysfunction treatment and featured in the Pulse, the professional newsletter of the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors. Most recently he co-wrote for Internal Medicine Review volume 3 issue 2. He currently lectures internationally on integrative medicine at CME accredited events to educate physicians, pharmacists, chiropractors, dentists and other health care practitioners on emerging research in System’s Biology.
Dr Arseneau has worked as Policy Advisor for the Government of Ontario. He is a member of the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors, the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors, the editorial board for the “Journal of Restorative Medicine” and a past peer reviewer for the “Integrated Healthcare Practitioners Journal”.
Dr Arseneau is also the Medical Advisor for AOR Canada, for Fluids IQ Immunology and Wellness Laboratory, and Medical Consultant for Pascoe Canada.
With an emphasis on understanding research-based mechanisms of disease to restore health using integrative medical strategies, he sees a wide variety of complex health concerns.
Dr Howard Schubiner MD is board-certified in pediatrics, adolescent medicine, and internal medicine. He was a full Professor at Wayne State University for 18 years and now works at Providence Hospital in Southfield, MI.
He is a fellow in the American College of Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Society for Adolescent Medicine. He was included in the 2003-2004, 2005-2006 and 2007-2008 lists of the Best Doctors in America.
He is known as a national expert in ADHD in adolescents and adults as well as mindfulness meditation and stress reduction.
He has authored over 60 publications in scientific journals and books and performed research in the fields of adolescent health, ADHD and stress reduction. Dr Schubiner is the author of Unlearn Your Pain, a 2010 book that attempts to explain both the neurological and psychological perspectives of chronic pain. Dr Schubiner writes that,”just as your nervous system has learned to make your body hurt, you can use your brain to unlearn your pain.”
Dr Schubiner is on the Editorial Boards of the Journal of Adolescent Health and the Journal of Attention Disorders. He has given over 250 lectures to scientific audiences regionally, nationally and internationally on topics related to adolescent medicine, ADHD, and stress reduction.
Dr Schubiner has consulted for the American Medical Association, the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the National Institute on Mental Health. He is the founder and director of the Mind Body Medicine Program at Providence Hospital. This program uses the most current research methodologies to treat chronic pain. He has recently completed the first randomized, controlled research study in the field of Mind Body Syndrome for individuals diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
Dr Rob Kachko ND LAc. graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Doctoral Degree in Naturopathic Medicine and a Masters Degree in Acupuncture from the University of Bridgeport College of Naturopathic Medicine and Acupuncture Institute.
Dr. Kachko is a recognized expert in the fields of healthy aging, neurodegenerative disease, and cardiovascular disease. He proudly serves on the Board of Directors of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP) and the New York Association of Naturopathic Physicians (NYANP), and as Chair of Public Education and Media Affairs for the AANP.
In order to create access to natural approaches to care, he works to expand research and awareness of holistic approaches to aging. He serves on the Medical and Dental Advisory Board for Sharp Again Naturally, a non-profit committed to natural approaches to Alzheimer’s and Dementia care. He also serves as clinical research consultant to the Alzheimer’s Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell Medical.
Dr Aaron Goldman earned his PhD in Molecular Genetics from Yale University and post-doctoral studies at the University of Toronto.
He is currently Canada’s Chief Science Officer for DNALabs. Prior to his work at DNALabs, Dr. Goldman was the Director of Genomics Services at the University Health Network/Mount Sinai Hospital Clinical Genomics Centre in Toronto, a state-of-the-art, full service genomics technology facility that provides genomics services such as DNA sequencing and genotyping to the research community.
Dr Goldman also served as the Research Program Director and co-founder of Mt. Sinai Hospital’s Office of Personalized Genomics and Innovative Medicine, which was established to facilitate the implementation of genomic discoveries into routine medical practice, and to ultimately improve the speed and precision of disease diagnostics and the quality of patient care.
Dr Gordon Ko MD, CCFP(EM), FRCPC, FABPMR, FABPM has been practicing as a physiatrist (principally managing patients with chronic pain) since the late 1980’s.
He is a former Senior University Associate Professor and current Medical Director, Interventional Physiatry clinics and Adjunct Lecturer at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto and the Canadian Centre for Integrative Medicine (Markham).
He is founder and vice-president for the Canadian Society for Neurotoxins in Pain and an executive director for the Canadian Association of Orthopaedic Medicine. Dr Ko has published extensively and given several hundred talks including those on wellness to professional and public groups; with a focus on healing of the body-mind-spirit.
From very early on in his training, Dr Ko developed a keen interest in the role of integrative medical strategies. He has since devoted much of himself to delivery of integrative medicine to his patients, as well as attempt to showcase the power of integrative techniques to his colleagues.
Dr Paul Epstein ND is a naturopathic physician, mind body therapist, mindfulness meditation teacher, speaker, workshop leader and author. He graduated from the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1984, where he did a residency in holistic medicine, stress and lifestyle counseling and directed the clinical lifestyle change program “Healthstyles”.
He has successfully advocated the clinical application and integration of mind-body-spirit therapies in health care for 30 years exploring the mind-body connection, how biography becomes biology, narrative medicine, neuroplasticity, epigenetic, and the role of stress and childhood trauma in health and disease. He specializes in treating people with stress-related disorders and mentoring health professionals to integrate mindfulness and mind-body therapies.
Paul was the co-founder of the Israel Center for Mind-Body Medicine. He graduated from the Academy for Guided Imagery, completed the three-year training program for Community Dharma Meditation Teachers at the Spirit Rock Meditation Center, and has trained in the “Internal Family System model of psychotherapy. Paul travels extensively and teaches mindfulness and mind-body therapy intensive training workshops and webinars, mentors health care professionals to integrate mindfulness and mind-body therapy. He maintains a private practice in Westport CT where he was the founder and guiding teacher of the Insight Meditation Community of Fairfield County. He is the author of ‘Happiness Through Meditation.”
NEXT LEVEL CLINICAL PRACTICE
Research on natural medicine is increasing fast. You will get the very latest research and practical direction in assisting the large number of patients seeking natural health care. With every course, you receive the links to all papers referenced.
FOREVER ASK QUESTIONS
As a graduate of any of our Masterclass events, you will receive an exclusive invitation to our locked and highly valuable alumni hub where we share ideas, case studies, ask questions of fellow graduates and all keep in touch.
We present high-level, unbiased, post-graduate education. We have no financial connection to any suppliers of supplements or other goods to natural healthcare providers. All presentations are high level, unbiased, and noncommercial.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
You will receive a personalized certificate for each course you do with us. For further information on CEs please refer to our Continuing Education page.
THE ALL ACCESS PASS
Before you purchase ANY class you might want to consider the All Access Pass for best value. Master your postgraduate education and get on board today.
- World Class presenters
- Unbiased information
- Clinical focus
- Comprehensive topic coverage
- Easy access to all notes, handouts, videos
- Best and latest information
- No travel costs or carbon emissions
- No time away from your family