Persistent, high levels of oxalate in the body can lead to cellular and organelle injury, cell malfunction, cell death, nutrient loss, tissue malfunction, and “ageing”. Excessive oxalate consumption, especially in the context of nutrient deficiencies, is a root cause of a wide variety of health problems involving connective tissues, immunity, neurological function, digestive function, and genitourinary function.
Oxalates are produced as an end-product of human metabolism and must be excreted. But at least half of urinary oxalate comes from foods. Many of today’s popular foods contain high concentrations of oxalates which makes them capable of triggering cellular stress in the gut, vascular system, kidneys, and elsewhere. Unfortunately, many clinicians and their clients are unaware of the potential effects of the high oxalate content in some “health” foods. Although ubiquitous and abundant in nature, oxalic acid ions, calcium oxalate, and other oxalate forms are highly toxic. Calcium oxalate is not only the major constituent of kidney stones, it is also known to play a role in pain, arthritis, and neurological deterioration.
In this two-part webinar series, Dr Sally Norton examines the clinically powerful but relatively unknown topic of how oxalates can create disease and what to do about it. Sally’s webinars will change the way you think about today’s “superfoods”. Join us for new insights and tools for supporting your clients’ recovery process. You will be amazed how easily you can help your clients find a personalised dietary path out of pain, fatigue, brain dysfunction and more.
FROM THIS SERIES YOU WILL
- Recognise the chemical forms of oxalate and their properties
- Describe the mechanisms of oxalate toxicity including cell injury and inflammation
- Describe the Trigger and Maintenance Theory of oxalate bioaccumulation
- Identify popular foods that are extremely high in oxalate
- Know two precursors that are commonly consumed and also drugs containing oxalate
- Describe the role of diet and other factors that increase susceptibility to oxalate toxicity
- Describe the low-oxalate role in alleviating toxicity and associated symptoms
- Identify current diagnostic criteria
- Define a low-oxalate diet and its metabolic effects
- Identify safe dietary transition strategies
- Recognise clearing illness
- Identify support nutrients
YOU WILL RECEIVE
- Clear protocol explanations
- Clinical pearls for improved practice results
- Access to audio and video recordings
- A PDF of the presenter’s slides
- Links to all referenced research papers and useful clinical handouts
- Your exclusive invitation to our alumni hub to ask questions
WEBINAR ONE: Understanding Oxalate Toxicity
Provides a primer on oxalate science; our level of oxalate exposure, oxalates’ effects on cells, oxalates’ tendency to accumulate in tissues, and the role of dietary oxalate.
- What is oxalate and why it is toxic
- Human Exposure: Metabolism, Precursors, Foods
- Oxalate accumulation without renal failure
- Role of diet as therapy and for prevention (of a multitude of modern ills)
WEBINAR TWO: Recognising and Treating Oxalate Toxicity: Clinical Challenges and Rewards
Clinical insights that will improve your ability to identify oxalate toxicity and effectively guide clients toward pain relief, improved vitality and performance, and functional longevity.
- Symptoms, syndromes, and diverse presentation
- Case examples
- Diet as Treatment and it’s potential side effects
- Understanding trigger and maintenance
- Data: a major point of confusion
- Oxalate coming and going creates misery
- Supportive therapies
- Course of recovery
Sally Norton, MPH has over 30 years in the health and wellness field. She is a nutritionist, consultant, writer, educator, and speaker specialising in oxalate education and helping people improve their health with an oxalate-avoiding diet. Sally holds a Bachelor of Science from Cornell University, Ithaca New York and a Master’s of Public Health degree from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
For over 30 years, she struggled with her own seemingly unanswerable health puzzle, “Why would a person who knows how to build health have so many health difficulties that she cannot overcome?” She finally discovered the cause and the path out of the misery and committed to teaching and reaching out to others stuck in a similar frustrating situation.
She worked in the field of Integrative Medicine at the University of North Carolina Medical School as Project Manager for expanding medical education to include more awareness of holistic and alternative healing arts. Sally has published popular articles in academic and popular journals and appeared in numerous interviews discussing the widespread but little-known harmful effects of oxalates.
NEXT LEVEL CLINICAL PRACTICE
Research on natural medicine is increasing fast. You will get the very latest research and practical direction in assisting the large number of patients seeking natural health care. With every course, you receive the links to all papers referenced.
FOREVER ASK QUESTIONS
As a graduate of any of our Masterclass events, you will receive an exclusive invitation to our locked and highly valuable alumni hub where we share ideas, case studies, ask questions of fellow graduates and all keep in touch.
We present high-level, unbiased, post-graduate education. We have no financial connection to any suppliers of supplements or other goods to natural healthcare providers. All presentations are high level, unbiased, and noncommercial.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
You will receive a personalized certificate for each course you do with us. For further information on CEs please refer to our Continuing Education page.
THE ALL ACCESS PASS
Before you purchase ANY class you might want to consider the All Access Pass for best value. Master your postgraduate education and get on board today.
- World Class presenters
- Unbiased information
- Clinical focus
- Comprehensive topic coverage
- Easy access to all notes, handouts, videos
- Best and latest information
- No travel costs or carbon emissions
- No time away from your family