Before we reach for any therapeutics for our mental health patients, we must first ensure that we have all of their fundamentals in order. And one of the most crucial for patients with mental health issues is diet. Maintaining adequate nutrition and especially stable, predictable blood glucose levels is essential for a balanced mood and attention.
Kristen Allott is a naturopathic physician who has focused on how diet and eating influence mental health. She finds that when she recommends the appropriate, and often quite simple advice, it makes rapid and substantial improvements in her patient’s functioning.
It has recently been shown that a person’s diet can be responsible for 50% of their depressive symptoms. Unstable glucose levels, as one example, can precipitate panic attacks, fatigue and impair decision making.
This three-part series is highly practical with lots of clinical tips on what and when your patients should be eating, all with clear explanations of the why and how these dietary strategies will help your patients.
FROM THIS SERIES YOU WILL
- Learn how to improve energy and mental clarity in your patients
- Learn simple strategies to prevent and stop anxiety and panic attacks
- Know how glucose regulation impacts willpower, decision making and mental health
- Understand the physiology of glucose regulation and its relevance to mental health
- Know how to calculate and teach patient’s their “power supply” time
- Discover which labs are useful to rule out physical causes of mental health
- Learn the most appropriate ranges of the functional diagnostic test in mental health
YOU WILL RECEIVE
- Clear protocol explanations
- Clinical pearls for improved practice results
- Access to audio and video recordings
- A PDF of the presenter’s slides
- Links to all referenced research papers and useful clinical handouts
- Your exclusive invitation to our alumni hub to ask questions
WEBINAR ONE: Physiology Contributing to Mental Illness
In this webinar, you will learn the physiology of how dysregulated glucose contributes to:
- Dysregulated mood disorders including anxiety, agitation and irritation
- Panic attacks
- PTSD symptoms including PTSD nightmares
- Bipolar disorder
- Early morning waking
- Difficult mornings and not being hungry in the morning
- Sugar craving
- Cravings for addictive substances
- Weight gain
WEBINAR TWO: How to Eat to Improve Energy and Mental Clarity
In this webinar, you will learn how to teach your clients to manage their mood with food. This will include:
- How to help your patient read food labels for more energy and mental clarity
- What foods to recommend for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
- How to work with food insecure populations
- Using food to stabilise mood and decision making
- Add protein to decrease sugar and carbs, and addiction cravings
- Never leave the house without a lizard brain treat
WEBINAR THREE: New Tools for Mental Health: Labs and Nutrition
In webinar 3 you will learn which labs are most useful to order prior to a mental health diagnosis or to rule out physical causes. Additionally, we will discuss the value of having tighter normals on some labs than the reference range.
We will cover:
- Complete blood count
- Thyroid stimulating hormone
- Comprehensive metabolic panel
- c-Reactive protein
- Celiac Panel
Dr. Kristen Allott, ND, MS, L.Ac. is a naturopathic physician, national speaker, and pioneering advocate for the use of whole foods nutrition in the treatment of mental health disorders and addictions. Dr Allott is passionate about achievable results.
As a graduate of Bastyr University in both Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine and Masters in Acupuncture, she seeks to find the physiological and nutritional causes for the symptoms of mental health and addictions that are limiting her patient’s lives. In her clinical practice, she has refined her expertise on how to promote increased mental functioning by providing achievable treatments for fatigue, depression, anxiety, bipolar, ADHD, PTSD, traumatic brain injuries, addictions, and sugar cravings.
As Wellness Director of A Positive Alternative, an outpatient addictions treatment center in Seattle Washington, she focused on educating patients to do small experiments to improve energy and mental clarity and recognizing when their responsive brain is in control versus their reactive brain.
Known for her engaging speaking style and useful handouts, Dr Allott regularly presents to mental health providers and psychiatric nurse practitioner seminars on non-pharmaceutical interventions for mental health. Additionally, she consults with the Court Improvement Training Academy of State of Washington Courts to help optimize the brains for the high-stakes decision-making environment for Juvenile and Family Court System in the State of Washington. She has also been a plenary speaker for the Superior Courts Judges Conference on improving energy and mental clarity for decision making.
Dr Allott is passionate about educating individuals and communities about improving mental and physical health. As such, she has an active blog, newsletter, and free online connectors group. She is a co-author on two studies of how lifestyle and nutrition impact inflammatory pathways and is about to publish her first book.
NEXT LEVEL CLINICAL PRACTICE
Research on natural medicine is increasing fast. You will get the very latest research and practical direction in assisting the large number of patients seeking natural health care. With every course, you receive the links to all papers referenced.
FOREVER ASK QUESTIONS
As a graduate of any of our Masterclass events, you will receive an exclusive invitation to our locked and highly valuable alumni hub where we share ideas, case studies, ask questions of fellow graduates and all keep in touch.
We present high-level, unbiased, post-graduate education. We have no financial connection to any suppliers of supplements or other goods to natural healthcare providers. All presentations are high level, unbiased, and noncommercial.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
You will receive a personalized certificate for each course you do with us. For further information on CEs please refer to our Continuing Education page.
THE ALL ACCESS PASS
Before you purchase ANY class you might want to consider the All Access Pass for best value. Master your postgraduate education and get on board today.
- World Class presenters
- Unbiased information
- Clinical focus
- Comprehensive topic coverage
- Easy access to all notes, handouts, videos
- Best and latest information
- No travel costs or carbon emissions
- No time away from your family